Yorkshire £50-60k Construction
Our Client is a market leading Approved Inspector and is now looking to appoint a Principal Building Control Surveyor to oversee their offices across the Yorkshire region.
This role holds overall accountability in supporting, coaching and mentoring the Building Surveyors, Assistants and Trainees within the designated offices, overseeing the daily workings and delivery of exceptional performance within their office.
Overall accountability sits with this person for the relationships between that office and its client base. This person will effectively lead and manage their regional team ensuring that all surveyors are fully equipped to successfully deliver in their roles, both technically and professionally and in line with the company QMS policy and procedures.
A key player in contributions towards the growth and success of the business and in driving the local business plan.
Principal Objectives and Role Responsibilities
Responsible for sharing knowledge and experience across the office, where relevant. This person will seek the opportunity to strengthen the office within the local marketplace by identifying gaps in the industry and devising solutions for the company to deliver on. Working as part of the local Management team, you will drive consistency and standardisation in expectations, policy, process and approach across the Group. Support communications across the Building Control division and for communications within your individual regions. Demonstrate commitment towards driving a united approach across all the offices, regions, adopting the one team ethos.
Promote communication and marketing across each business office in your region to generate work to successfully help achieve the regional targets and overall company business plan.
As a principal within the building control business, you will address the skills challenges they are facing externally and will drive forward the trainees’ training pathways, taking full accountability for and responsibility in, supporting the trainees within your teams.
- Advising clients on building regulation and related matters to ensure compliance with the Building Regulations and associated legislation.
- Checking drawings and associated information to ensure compliance with the Building Regulations and associated legislation on a multi discipline of projects.
- Carry out inspections of work during construction to ensure compliance with the Building Regulations and associated legislation on a multi discipline of projects and uploading / inputting site records accordingly.
- Carry out inspections on behalf of other Building Surveyors where the work falls within the boundary of your Region.
- Ensure that all project / inspection records etc. are accurately recorded on the company computer management system.
- Writing technical reports.
- Mentor and support training mechanisms in-line with the needs of the company’s training department.
- Organising and storing paperwork, documents and computer-based information in line with Quality Management Systems.
- Ensure technical standards are met by all members of your office/s.
- Ensure all team members are work to the company QMS policy and procedures.
- Using a variety of software packages, including all MS Office products.
Recruit and manage a client base to meet targets agreed with the Regional Operations Manager.
- Review team financial performance and report these to the operations manager.
- Leading team meetings and driving agenda’s forward.
- Active involvement and input into regional team meetings.
- Utilising and collaborating with support services; HR, training, marketing etc.
- Travelling and working from other offices as required.
- Any other reasonable duty as directed by an Operations Manager or Director.
Key Skills & Competencies
- A high performing individual with a strong academic background, and positive approach.
- Record of success in effectively managing variety of teams, often in remote roles also.
- A strong people person who can manage people through behaviours and coaching.
- Highly organised and self-sufficient, able to solve problems in a generalist and specialist capacity.
- Adapt your leadership style to gain hearts and minds of others to deliver your role effectively.
- Ability to manage differing personalities and passionate in driving teamwork.
- Introduce new ways of working and share best practice across your team and others when you can see a benefit to the business.
- Setting challenging but realistic targets that link into business KPI’S that demonstrate productive regional teams.
- Demonstrate effective communication within your region that allows you to actively manage people from a distance while achieving / excelling results.
- A great motivator, celebrating successes.
- Can actively manage poor and high performers, engaging with the necessary processes where needed.
- To grow and develop talent within the business so succession planning is active.
- Ability to take initiative and make difficult decisions when necessary.
- A high level of written and spoken English.
- Ability to travel.
- Creative, innovative, personable and fun.
Qualifications & Experience
- Chartered membership of an appropriate professional institution, MRICS, MCABE, MCIOB.
- 5 years’ post qualification experience within Building Control.
- Extensive experience in the construction industry with relevant experience in Building Control
- Proven ability to make pragmatic and value decisions on compliance with Building Regulations.
- Able to work with the minimum of supervision, in line with company QMS policy and procedures.
- IT literate with the ability to use a range of software programs.
- Good communication skills both verbal and written with appropriate interpersonal and presentational skills.
- Basic salary range £48-55k
- Company bonus
- Company car
- Generous holiday package